All tickets to the National Gallery are subject to these ticketing terms
These terms and conditions apply to all tickets for entry to the National Gallery at Trafalgar Square, London (the ‘Gallery’). In these terms, the ‘National Gallery’, ‘we’, ‘us’ and ‘our’ refers to the Board of Trustees of the National Gallery and the ‘you’ and ‘your’ refers to the person who has booked, or is holding, the relevant ticket.
These terms apply to the following types of ticket (together ‘Tickets’) and any donation made in relation to such Tickets:
- Gallery Entry Tickets: being for general admission to the Gallery’s permanent collection;
- Exhibition Tickets: being for entry into the Gallery’s temporary and paid-for exhibitions; and
- Event Tickets: being for entry into on-site and online Gallery events
Please note in particular the National Gallery’s position regarding refunds in Section 2 below and our exclusions and limitations of liability in Section 6 below.
1. Terms for all Tickets
Our acceptance of your order of any Ticket will take place when we email you a booking confirmation to accept it, and we have received your payment in full, at which point a contract will come into existence between you and us.
All persons using such Tickets agree to be bound to these terms as a condition of entry to the Gallery, regardless as to whether or not they were the booker of the Tickets.
Tickets may be booked online or at the ticket desk at the Gallery’s entrance. Certain data is collected when you book a ticket online which shall be processed in accordance with the Gallery’s privacy notice. Tickets may be booked without providing personal data at the Gallery’s entrance.
At this time the maximum number of Tickets which may be booked for Gallery Entry in a single transaction is 30 and an exhibition is 6. Anything described as a “digital event” is limited to one Ticket per household.
Tickets shall be provided for an allotted time for entry to the Gallery and each ticket is only valid for one admission. Tickets are valid only for the date and time stated on your ticket. Entrance is in 15-minute windows; for instance, if you have a 11am Ticket you will be allowed entrance between 11am and 11.15am. To ensure visitors have the very best experience with us, the Gallery may stagger visitor entry within the time slot they have booked.
Tickets must be presented at the entrance to the Gallery, unless issued at the Gallery entrance. All exhibition or event tickets must be presented at the entrance to an exhibition or event and must be presented to our staff (or our representatives) on a mobile device or on a print out. Your Ticket will be scanned.
For further information in relation to our use of your personal data for this purpose please see our privacy notice.
In respect of all Tickets, you agree:
- if you have booked the Tickets you confirm that you are aged 13 or over and are otherwise able to enter into these Ticketing Terms;
- Children under 13 must be accompanied by an adult aged 18 or over who shall be held responsible for the acts of the children they accompany(for the avoidance of doubt, accompanying adults also require a separate ticket);
- to be bound by the terms of our Admissions Policy, although these Ticketing Terms shall take precedence;
- to comply with all directions given by us or our representatives. This may include:
- directions in relation to health and safety and, in particular, requirements in respect of the containment of the Coronavirus pandemic with regards to social distancing, use of facilities, wearing of personal protective equipment or use of hygiene products (as are in force from time to time);
- checks and regulations in relation to security which may include searches of bags, clothing and other items on entry and exit and to confiscate items which may be illegal, cause danger or disruption to the Gallery, the works or other visitors or any other terms set out in our Admissions Policy or deny entry;
- requirements in respect of queuing; and
- the use of designated routes within the Gallery;
- you shall remain within the public areas of the Gallery;
- please note carefully the Gallery’s bag size policy which forms part of our Admission Policy as you will not be allowed to enter the Gallery with an oversized bag;
- the consumption of food and drink unless otherwise indicated is strictly prohibited outside of designated food service areas;
- smoking, including electronic cigarettes, is strictly prohibited throughout the Gallery including in the queue for entry;
- non‑commercial use of photographic, film and video equipment is permitted unless otherwise indicated - but the use of flash or tripods is prohibited across the Gallery;
- any ticket re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain, or otherwise obtained in breach of these terms and conditions, shall be void and the holder may be refused entry or ejected from the Gallery. Void tickets are non-refundable;
- commercial, promotional and trading activities are not permitted at the Gallery without our express prior written permission; and
- you are a natural person and not a robot (or bot).
The National Gallery reserves the right, absolutely and at its sole discretion to:
- refuse admission to the Gallery, including if you arrive late or on the wrong day or after our opening hours, and our decision shall be final and binding;
- eject, suspend or cut short the visit any person at any time for failure to comply with these Ticketing Terms, if you commit a criminal offence, are under the influence of drugs or excessive alcohol, behave in an anti-social manner or in a way which causes a public nuisance; and
- cancel any Ticket (and if applicable refund or offer an alternative visit date in respect of Exhibition Tickets as further described below). In particular, if the National Gallery confirms or suspects any resale of tickets or systematic purchase by robot or other person or organisation.
2.Terms for Exhibition Tickets and Event Tickets
The following terms apply to Exhibition Tickets and Event Tickets:
Before your Ticket booking is finalised, you will be asked to confirm that the personal details you have provided to us and your ticket requirements are correct. Once your order has been confirmed by you, we cannot accept responsibility for or offer any refunds arising as a result of incorrect information provided by you at the time of ordering your ticket(s).
Unfortunately, we cannot offer refunds, exchanges, or account credit on tickets unless the Gallery is closed due to an emergency, or if an event (or exhibition time slot) is cancelled by the Gallery. The Gallery will not refund or reimburse tickets for any other reason.
In the event of such closure or cancellation, customers will be provided with a credit on their account equivalent to the cost of the ticket. Customers shall also be given the option of receiving a refund of the cost of the ticket; customers may use such a credit to book an alternative date for the Event, if practicable. The Gallery may give customers the opportunity to make a donation to the gallery instead.
The Gallery is unable to refund donations made as part of any ticket purchase.
Tickets will not be cancelled or refunded as a result of adverse weather conditions if an event or exhibition still goes ahead.
Any credit shall be valid for a year from the date the credit was issued and may be used on exhibition, event tickets or Membership purchases online and in the Gallery.
These terms and conditions do not affect your statutory rights as a consumer.
Tickets are non-transferrable and cannot be resold. Any Tickets found to have been offered for resale will be cancelled without refund and admission will be refused to the bearer.
3. Concessions for Exhibition Tickets
The following persons are entitled to discounted or free Exhibition Tickets:
- Under-18s are entitled to a free Exhibition Ticket when accompanied by a paying adult. Each paying adult can bring up to four free under-18s with them into the Exhibition. Free under-18 tickets must be booked alongside a paid ticket. On the day of your visit, you may be required to show evidence of your age in order to validate your E-Tickets and obtain entry to the Exhibition;
- Disabled persons are entitled to a free carer Exhibition Ticket (the additional carer Ticket may be booked online), when accompanying a paying disabled adult ticket holder;
- Jobseekers can receive a discounted ticket upon proof of eligibility ID;
- Students can receive a discounted ticket upon proof of a valid NUS card; and
- Art Fund Members can receive a discounted ticket upon proof of a valid Art Pass Card.
- All concession tickets are subject to proof of eligibility (with requisite identification) prior to entry to the event or exhibition.
4. Members and Entry for Members to Exhibitions
Members should book General Entry Tickets, Exhibition Tickets and Event Tickets online through our website. It is critical that Members aim to do this to enable us to manage capacity within the Gallery.
Based on your Membership type, you can reserve the following number of Tickets per Exhibition:
Member: 1 (for the named Membership Card holder only)
Member & Guest: 2 (for the named Membership Card holder and a guest only)
Joint Membership: 2 (for either or both of the two named Joint Membership Card holders only)
Joint Membership & Guests: 4 (for either or both of the two named Joint Membership Card holders and up to two guests only)
Members can book a Member Ticket by logging into their account on the National Gallery website or by visiting one of the desks in the Gallery.
For the avoidance of doubt, at least one named Membership Card holder must accompany each guest to an exhibition.
On the day redemption of exhibition tickets for Membership offer
Exhibition Ticket holders can redeem the price of their Exhibition Ticket against the cost of a new Membership. This is only valid upon presentation of an Exhibition Ticket at the desk, on the same day as the visit to the Exhibition. After the initial year, the price of the Membership will return to the standard rate at the time of renewal. To use this offer please visit the Membership/ticket desk.
Based on your chosen Membership type, you can redeem the following number of tickets per Membership:
Member: 1 ticket
Member & Guest: 1 ticket
Joint Membership: 2 tickets
Joint Membership & Guests: 2 tickets
The National Gallery reserves the right to amend the terms and conditions of this offer at any time and without notice.
5. Donations and Gift Aid
Donations can be added to any Ticket booking. The National Gallery is extremely grateful for any such donations.
Gift Aid can be applied to any donations free of charge to you if you are a UK taxpayer, meaning that an additional 25% is added to the value of a donation through HMRC’s refunding of your tax. To add gift aid to a donation, a ‘Gift Aid’ declaration is required by you. This can be given online, at the ticket desk, via post or over the phone. The National Gallery’s use of the information provided is governed by our privacy notice.
6. Data Protection
The National Gallery notified the Information Commissioner’s Office of its processing of your data and shall process your date in accordance with the Data Protection 2018 and relevant associated legislation and statutory guidance (including the General Data Protection Regulation).
By booking a Ticket you agree to our processing of your personal data in accordance with our privacy notice.
Your liability: You acknowledge that you will be liable to us for any breach of these terms and conditions and any damage caused by you to the Gallery or to any of its contents or for any injury caused to any of our staff or representatives, or to other visitors, during your visit. You further agree that:
- where you are the responsible adult, you shall also be responsible for all children that you accompany; and
- where you are the organiser of a party, you shall be jointly and severally liable (with the applicable visitor(s)) for any damage caused by the visitors in your party;
Subject to the limitations and exclusions set out below, the National Gallery is responsible to you for foreseeable loss and damage caused by us. If we fail to comply with these terms, we are responsible for loss or damage you suffer that is a foreseeable result of our breaking this contract or our failing to use reasonable care and skill, but we are not responsible for any loss or damage that is not foreseeable. Loss or damage is foreseeable if either it is obvious that it will happen or if, at the time the contract was made, both we and you knew it might happen.
However, please note that:
Personal arrangements including travel, accommodation or hospitality relating to the Ticket which have been arranged by you (or a third party who is not us) are at your own risk. Our liability for the cancellation of rescheduling of an event or an exhibition and your Ticket shall be limited to the refund set out in Section 2 above.
In respect of any other loss or damage, except in respect of death or personal injury caused by our negligence (or any other liability that cannot, as a matter of law be excluded or limited):
- we will not be liable for any breaches of these terms or delays arising from any event outside our control, including (but not limited to) fire, flood, storm, strikes, riots, civil commotion, material disaster, unscheduled State occasions, war or acts of governmental or parliamentary authority;
- we shall not be liable for any costs, damage or loss you incur as a result of your being refused entry to, or ejected from, the Gallery for a breach of these terms; and
- we shall not be responsible for the theft, loss or damage to your personal property brought into the Gallery.
8. Payment and Pricing
We take payment from you for your Tickets (if applicable) at the point of purchase, if in person, or following our confirmation email if you have provided your payment details online.
It is always possible that, despite our best efforts, some of the Tickets we sell may be incorrectly priced. We will normally check prices before accepting your order so that, where the Ticket’s correct price at your order date is less than our stated price at your order date, we will contact you to discuss payment of the difference or cancellation of the Ticket(s). If the product's correct price at your order date is higher than the price stated to you, we will contact you for your instructions before we accept your order.
If we accept and process your order where a pricing error is obvious and unmistakeable and could reasonably have been recognised by you as a mispricing, we may end the contract, refund you any sums you have paid and cancel the Tickets we have issued to you.
The National Gallery strongly encourages visitors to book tickets online through the creation of an account on its website. If you attend the Gallery in person without a Ticket we may require you to book your Ticket online through a mobile device before permitting your entry, particularly at busy times.
If you have a ticket enquiry or cannot book online: Tickets can be booked by emailing email@example.com. Bookings are not confirmed until you have received a booking confirmation.
Please contact us using the above details if you require assistance in booking your visit or when at the Gallery.
11. Other important terms
These terms apply to all admissions and supersede any earlier terms and all terms and conditions applying to previous years. All other terms and conditions whether express or implied are hereby excluded. These terms may not be waived or amended without our written consent.
We may transfer this agreement to someone else. We may transfer our rights and obligations under these terms to another organisation. [We will always tell you in writing if this happens and we will ensure that the transfer will not affect your rights under the contract.
If a court finds part of this contract illegal, the rest will continue in force. Each of the paragraphs of these terms operates separately. If any court or relevant authority decides that any of them are unlawful, the remaining paragraphs will remain in full force and effect.
Which laws apply to this contract and where you may bring legal proceedings. These terms are governed by English law and you can bring legal proceedings in respect of the products in the English courts. If you live in Scotland you can bring legal proceedings in respect of the products in either the Scottish or the English courts. If you live in Northern Ireland you can bring legal proceedings in respect of the products in either the Northern Irish or the English courts.
These terms were updated in 29/04/2022
We may update or change these terms from time to time