Your use of the Website
You agree to only use the Website and any content on the Website for lawful purposes and in such a way that does not prevent, restrict or otherwise prejudice the use of the Website by anyone else.
Prohibited use of the Website or any content on the Website includes:
- distributing any type of virus, spyware, malware or other programs or files designed to cause harm, nuisance, disruption, loss and/corruption of data;
- hacking or attempt to hack any part of the Website or any system run through the Website;
- transmitting any material which is or may be considered to be defamatory, obscene, racist, indecent or offensive;
- transmitting any material which harms or causes distress or may harm or cause distress;
- transmitting unsolicited communications such as junk mail or spam;
- creating a database that includes material downloaded or obtained from the Website without written permission from the Gallery; or
- using the Website in any way damages or may damage the reputation of the Gallery or which brings or may bring the Gallery’s Trustees, employees or affiliates into disrepute.
All copyright, trade marks, design rights, patents and other intellectual property rights contained in the Website and all content available on the Website shall remain the property of the National Gallery or its licensors. All such rights are reserved.
The National Gallery name and logo are registered trade marks and belong to the National Gallery. The Website may also feature third-party owned trade marks that the National Gallery is permitted to use. Nothing in these terms gives you any right or permission to use any of these names and/or logos.
Except as set out in these terms or as expressly permitted under copyright law, you may not copy, reproduce, republish, disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, download, post, broadcast, transmit make available to the public or otherwise use any part of the Website (including any content on the Website) for anything other than your own personal, non-commercial use.
Certain images from the Website are made available for download for non-commercial purposes, subject to a creative commons licence (currently CC BY NC ND 4.0). Key facts in relation to paintings in our collection are made available for download under a creative commons licence (currently CC0).
Content may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium for research, private study, or for internal circulation within an educational organisation (such as schools, colleges, and universities). This is subject to the content being reproduced accurately and not used in a misleading context or altered format, such as stretched, compressed, coloured, or altered in any way so as to distort its original format.
Commercial users identifying an image they wish to reproduce on a commercial basis should contact:
The National Gallery Company Picture Library
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7747 5994
Fax: +44 (0)20 7747 5999
Where any of the items on the Website are being republished or copied to others, the source of the content must be identified and the copyright status acknowledged.
For example, “Leonardo, The Virgin of the Rocks, 1491–1508 Photo © The National Gallery, London”
Linking to the Website
You are welcome to link to the Website from any personal websites, blogs, or channels which are run for your own personal use and on a not for profit basis; however you must not link to the Website in such a way which would infer any form of endorsement, association or sponsorship by us. Please do not display, surround or frame any content from our Website or allow it to be displayed, surrounded, or framed by material that is not from the National Gallery without our prior written consent.
If you wish to link to the Website from any corporate, commercial or professional websites, please contact us for written permission prior to doing so.
Commercial filming at the National Gallery
Commercial filming and photography are not allowed in the Gallery without prior written permission. To arrange a location shoot, please contact the National Gallery Commercial Events team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or telephoning 020 7747 5931.
Purchasing products and services
From time to time products and services are offered for purchase on our Website (for example ticketed events at the Gallery). Separate terms will apply to your purchase and may in certain circumstances be provided by a third party providing such products and services on our behalf. Please read any third party terms carefully before completing your purchase.
From time to time we may run competitions which may be publicised on the Website. These competitions will have specific terms and conditions and you will be provided with a link to them as part of the entry process.
Third-party websites/external links
We do not endorse or sponsor or otherwise approve of any information, images or further links to other sites that appear in those websites.”
Notice and takedown
If you have found content on our Website, for which you have not given permission (where you would normally be required to give permission), or such content contravenes privacy laws, is obscene, defamatory, or in terms of copyright law is not covered by a limitation or exception, please contact us in writing email@example.com stating the following:
- Your contact details;
- The full details of the content and where you found it (exact and full web address);
- If your concern involves copyright or other intellectual property rights, proof that you are the rights holder or their authorized representative; and
- The reason for your request e.g. copyright, privacy, data protection, obscenity or defamation.
We will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 10 working days of receiving your written objection. Upon receipt of a valid complaint we will remove the content from our Website while the matter is being investigated further.
While we make every effort to ensure the accuracy of the content on the Website, we accept no responsibility for any errors, omissions, or inaccurate content on the Website and we reserve the right to make changes to the content on the Website from time to time.
Whilst we try to make the Website available without interruption, we reserve the right to suspend or withdraw access, without notice to either the whole or part of the Website for any reason and to schedule occasional downtime for maintenance.
Every effort is made to ensure downloadable content is free from viruses, spyware or other malware; however we accept no liability for damages resulting from virus infection. We cannot guarantee that the use of the Website will be virus-free or that use of the Website will not affect other software or operating systems used to access the Website.
National Gallery content, including the information, names, images, logos relating to the National Gallery, its products and services is provided “as is”. To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all representations and warranties (express or implied) including the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security, and accuracy.
Nothing in these terms excludes or limits our liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence. Subject to the foregoing, we shall not be liable for any of the following losses or damages (whether they were foreseen, foreseeable, known or otherwise) loss of data, business, opportunity, goodwill or injury to reputation, profit or revenue and any special, incidental, consequential, punitive, exemplary losses, damages, or costs arising from your use of the Website or any content on the Website, or any services provided through the Website.
Freedom of Information
Please read our Freedom of Information policy to find out what kind of information we publish and how regularly and for details on how to submit a Freedom of Information request.
If any part of these terms is found to be illegal, invalid, or otherwise unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, the term(s) in question will be severed, but the remaining terms will survive and continue in force.
The delay or failure of the National Gallery to enforce or exercise any right in these terms does not constitute a waiver of such rights.
These terms, their subject matter and formation are governed by English law and you agree with us to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
If you are using the Website from outside England and Wales, other laws may apply to your use of the Website. We operate the Website from within the United Kingdom. We are not subject to local laws applicable in your country and the Website may not be compliant with those local laws. You should not access or use the Website unless you are happy with this position.
If you have any queries about your use of the Website or any information on the Website, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tickets terms and conditions
All tickets to the National Gallery are subject to these ticketing terms
These terms and conditions apply to all tickets for entry to the National Gallery at Trafalgar Square, London (the ‘Gallery’). In these terms, the ‘National Gallery’, ‘we’, ‘us’ and ‘our’ refers to the Board of Trustees of the National Gallery and the ‘you’ and ‘your’ refers to the person who has booked, or is holding, the relevant ticket.
These terms apply to the following types of ticket (together ‘Tickets’) and any donation made in relation to said Tickets:
- Gallery Entry Tickets: being for general admission to the Gallery’s permanent collection;
- Exhibition Tickets: being for entry into the Gallery’s temporary and paid-for exhibitions; and
- Event Tickets: being for entry into on-site Gallery events.
1. Terms for all Tickets
There shall be no entry to the Gallery without a Gallery Entry Ticket. All persons using such Tickets agree to be bound to these terms as a condition of entry to the Gallery, regardless as to whether or not they were the booker of the Tickets.
At this time the maximum number of Tickets which may be booked in a single transaction is 6.
Tickets shall be provided for an allotted time for entry to the Gallery and each ticket is only valid for one admission. Tickets are valid only for the date and time stated on your ticket. Entrance is in 15-minute windows; for instance, if you have a 11am Ticket you will be allowed entrance between 11am and 11.15am. We recommend you arrive 15 minutes before your stated time slot. To ensure visitors have the very best experience with us, the Gallery may stagger visitor entry within the time slot they have booked.
Tickets need to be presented at the entrance to the Gallery and may be presented to our staff (or our representatives) on a mobile device or on a print out. You may be asked to present your Ticket for scanning.
In respect of all Tickets, you agree and acknowledge that:
- if you have booked the Tickets you confirm that you are aged 13 or over and are otherwise able to enter into these Ticketing Terms;
- Children under 13 must be accompanied by an adult aged 18 or over who shall be held responsible for the acts of the children they accompany;
- You agree to be bound by the terms of our Admissions Policy, although these Ticketing Terms shall take precedence;
- you shall comply with all directions given by us or our representatives. This may include:
- directions in relation to health and safety and, in particular, requirements in respect of the containment of the Coronavirus pandemic with regards to social distancing, use of facilities, wearing of personal protective equipment or use of hygiene products (as are in force from time to time);
- checks and regulations in relation to security which may include searches of bags, clothing and other items on entry and exit and to confiscate items which may be illegal, cause danger or disruption to the Gallery, the works or other visitors or any other terms set out in our Admissions Policy or deny entry;
- requirements in respect of queuing; and
- the use of designated routes within the Gallery;
- you shall remain within the public areas of the Gallery;
- Cloakroom facilities are not currently in operation and therefore it will not be possible to deposit baggage and other items at this time. Therefore, please note carefully the Gallery’s bag size policy which forms part of our Admission Policy as you will not be allowed to enter the Gallery with an oversized bag;
- the consumption of food and drink unless otherwise indicated is strictly prohibited outside of designated food service areas;
- smoking, including electronic cigarettes, is strictly prohibited throughout the Gallery including in the queue for entry;
- non‑commercial use of photographic, film and video equipment is permitted unless otherwise indicated - but the use of flash or tripods is prohibited across the Gallery;
- any ticket re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain without written permission of the National Gallery becomes void and the holder may be refused entry or ejected from the venue;
- commercial, promotional and trading activities are not permitted at the Gallery without our express prior written permission; and
- you are a natural person and not a robot (or bot).
The National Gallery reserves the right, absolutely and at its sole discretion to:
- refuse admission to the Gallery, including if you arrive late or on the wrong day or after our opening hours, and our decision shall be final and binding;
- eject, suspend or cut short the visit any person at any time for failure to comply with these Ticketing Terms, if you commit a criminal offence, are under the influence of drugs or excessive alcohol, behave in an anti-social manner or in a way which causes a public nuisance; and
- cancel any Ticket (and if applicable refund or offer an alternative visit date in respect of Exhibition Tickets as further described below). In particular, if the National Gallery confirms or suspects any resale of tickets or systematic purchase by robot or other person or organisation.
2.Terms for Exhibition Tickets and Event Tickets
The following terms apply to Exhibition Tickets and Event Tickets:
Before your Ticket booking is finalised, you will be asked to confirm that the personal details you have provided to us and your ticket requirements are correct. Once your order has been confirmed by you, we cannot accept responsibility for or offer any refunds arising as a result of incorrect information provided by you at the time of ordering your ticket(s).
Unfortunately, we cannot offer refunds or account credit on tickets unless the Gallery is closed due to an emergency, or if an event has to be cancelled for reasons beyond the control of the Gallery.
In the event of such closure or cancellation, customers will be provided with a credit on their account equivalent to the full cost of the ticket. Customers shall also be given the option of making a donation to the gallery or receiving a full refund of the cost of the ticket; customers will only be offered an alternative date where practicable. Tickets will not be refunded in adverse weather conditions if an event still goes ahead.
Any credit shall be valid for a year from the date the credit was issued and may be used on exhibition, event tickets or Membership purchases online and in the Gallery.
Tickets are non-transferrable and cannot be resold. Any Tickets found to have been offered for resale will be cancelled without refund and admission will be refused to the bearer.
Concessions for Exhibition Tickets
The following persons are entitled to discounted or free Exhibition Tickets:
- Under-18s are entitled to a free Exhibition Ticket when accompanied by a paying adult. Each paying adult can bring up to four free under-18s with them into the Exhibition. Free under-18 tickets must be booked alongside a paid ticket. On the day of your visit, you may be required to show evidence of your age in order to validate your E-Tickets and obtain entry to the Exhibition;
- Disabled persons are entitled to a free carer Exhibition Ticket (the additional carer Ticket may be booked online);
- Jobseekers can receive a discounted ticket upon proof of eligibility ID;
- Students can receive a discounted ticket upon proof of a valid NUS card; and
- Art Fund Members can receive a discounted ticket upon proof of a valid Art Pass Card.
3. Members and Entry for Members to Exhibitions
Members should book General Entry Tickets, Exhibition Tickets and Event Tickets online through our website. It is critical that Members aim to do this to enable us to manage capacity within the Gallery.
Based on your Membership type, you can reserve the following number of Tickets per Exhibition:
Member & Guest: 2
Joint Membership: 2
Joint Membership & Guests: 4
Members can book a Member Ticket by logging into their account on the National Gallery website or by visiting one of the desks in the Gallery.
Same day ticket holders upgrade to Membership
Exhibition Ticket holders can redeem the price of their Exhibition Ticket against the cost of a new Membership. This is only valid upon presentation of an Exhibition Ticket at the desk, on the same day as the visit to the Exhibition. After the initial year, the price of the Membership will return to the standard rate at the time of renewal. To use this offer please visit the Membership/ticket desk.
Based on your chosen Membership type, you can redeem the following number of tickets per Membership:
Member: 1 ticket
Member & Guest: 1 ticket
Joint Membership: 2 tickets
Joint Membership & Guests: 2 tickets
The National Gallery reserves the right to amend the terms and conditions of this offer at any time and without notice.
4. Donations and Gift Aid
Donations can be added to any Ticket booking. The National Gallery is extremely grateful for any such donations.
5. Data Protection
The National Gallery notified the Information Commissioner’s Office of its processing of your data and shall process your date in accordance with the Data Protection 2018 and relevant associated legislation and statutory guidance (including the General Data Protection Regulation).
You acknowledge that you will be liable to us for any damage caused by you to the Gallery or to any of its contents or for any injury caused to any of our staff or representatives or to other visitors during your visit. Without prejudice to the foregoing, you further agree that:
- where you are the responsible adult, you shall also be liable for all children that you accompany; and
- where you are the organiser of a party, you shall be jointly and severally liable (with the applicable visitor(s)) for any damage caused by the visitors in your party;
Except in respect of death or personal injury caused by our negligence or by that of our employees or any other liability that cannot, as a matter of law be excluded or limited:
- we exclude our liability for any loss, damage, cost or expense suffered by you or occurring to any items belonging to you as a result of your visit; and
- our liability to you shall be limited to the price of Ticket. Under no circumstances will we be liable to you or to any third party for any consequential or indirect loss, damage or expense.
Without prejudice to the above, we will not be liable for any breaches of these terms or delays arising from any event outside our control, including (but not limited to) fire, flood, storm, strikes, riots, civil commotion, material disaster, unscheduled State occasions, war or acts of governmental or parliamentary authority.
The National Gallery (nor its representatives) shall not be responsible for loss or damage to personal property brought into the Gallery.
7. Accessibility, Contact and Boilerplate
The National Gallery strongly encourages visitors to book tickets online through the creation of an account on its website. If you attend the Gallery in person without a Ticket we may require you to book your Ticket online through a mobile device before permitting your entry, particularly at busy times.
Tickets can be booked by calling +44 (0)20 7747 2885 or emailing email@example.com.
Please contact us using the above details if you require assistance in booking your visit or when at the Gallery.
These terms apply to all admissions and supersede any earlier terms and all terms and conditions applying to previous years. All other terms and conditions whether express or implied are hereby excluded. These terms may not be waived or amended without our written consent.
These terms shall be construed in accordance with the laws of England and any disputes arising under the Conditions shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.
These terms were updated in November 2020
We may update or change these terms from time to time
Merchandise terms and conditions
If you have purchased a catalogue for click and collect you can find delivery information in our terms and conditions.
You can find out more about how click and collect works in our FAQs.
If you have bought a ticket and catalogue in the same order the catalogue will be ready for collection for the date of your visit.
Audio Guides which have been purchased in advance can be collected on the visit date from the exhibition entrance.