What this means for your visit
This section contains information which relates specifically to your visit to the National Gallery (whether collected via the Board of Trustees of the National Gallery or National Gallery Global Limited) and should be read in conjunction with our General Privacy Notice.
When you book a ticket to visit the Gallery (subject to our Ticketing Terms), you will set up an account with us in order to facilitate your booking. We may also collect information in relation to your visit when you make a purchase on site, use the Wi-Fi facilities or as part of our CCTV surveillance. Please see our General Privacy Notice for details of the personal information we may collect from you as a visitor.
In addition to the personal information listed in our General Privacy Notice, we will only process the following additional information about our visitors if we have a legal basis for doing so under current UK data protection law:
- Where processing your information is necessary for our legitimate interests, for example:
- to conduct analysis and research in relation to our visitors, classify our visitors and audience into groups or segments by attitudes and behaviours, using the information you provide us with (through your interactions with us). These segments help us to understand our audience better, ensure we are sending relevant information to each group, and enable us to tailor and target our programme and services to help us manage and improve them;
- to send marketing materials to you by post (subject to any objection from you to marketing by post and the Mail Preference Service (‘MPS’);
- to invite visitors to take part in surveys, to improve the Gallery’s visitor experience and product offering; and
- to retain your personal information on our secure customer relationship management system for the above purposes.
Where we are relying on the legitimate interest basis for processing data, you have the right to object to this. See our General Privacy Notice for further details.
- Processing your information because it is necessary for the performance of a contract with you or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract, including:
- to process your booking, including any payment, of tickets;
- to confirm the completion of ticket bookings and to provide you with your ticket;
- to process your payment for the purchase of goods;
- to confirm your identity for entry to the Gallery (and/or any Exhibition or Event) at the time allotted by your ticket;
- to arrange collection of pre-ordered merchandise when you visit, if you purchased any when booking your ticket;
- to provide you with information which is relevant to your visit and your ticket, including information about the Gallery and our collection applicable to your visit, which services will be available on the day of your visit, what health and safety restrictions may be in place in relation to your visit, expectations in relation to your conduct during your visit (in particular in relation to the Coronavirus Pandemic), and to bring your attention to any cancellation or closure of all or part of the Gallery whether planned or in an emergency; and
- retain your personal information on our secure customer relationship management system for the above purposes.
- Where we have your consent to process your information, for example:
- if you choose to leave a comment or query on one of our feedback forms, you may include your contact details if you wish to receive a reply from the Gallery (we aim to respond within 10 working days, after which we will delete your personal data);
- following our courses and events we ask for feedback in order to assess and improve our services; and
- from time to time we may undertake surveys of our visitors or invite visitors to participate in research projects in order to improve our services.
Where you have given consent to the processing of your data you may withdraw it at any time. See our General Privacy Notice for further details.
- When we have a legal obligation to do so. In appropriate circumstances we shall use your information to fulfil our legal obligations which may include:
- complying with Health and Safety legislation in relation to the Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19), as required to from time to time (and we will keep this under regular review). This shall include managing capacity of the Gallery and to analyse attendance and no-show rates and to inform capacity management;
- complying with the Health and Safety implications if appropriate, for example reporting first aid incidents;
- the use of CCTV recording equipment on our premises for monitoring and security purposes;
- detecting and reducing the risk of fraudulent transactions in person or online, including the use of robots or bots in contravention of our Ticketing Terms
- undertaking due diligence to detect fraud, money laundering and credit risk and protecting the reputation of the Gallery;
- to keep our databases up to date;
- for our financial records, including for Gift Aid purposes;
- such other obligations as are imposed on us from time to time;
- deleting or updating the information we hold about you if we learn such information is inaccurate; and
- complying with your data rights (as further described in our General Privacy Notice)