Room 66

Milan after Leonardo around 1500

Leonardo da Vinci’s presence in Milan between 1482 and 1499 as court painter to the ruling Sforza family generated a demand for his works that Leonardo alone could hardly meet. His notoriously low output of paintings was compensated for by a large group of Lombard artists commonly referred to as the Leonardeschi, or followers of Leonardo. These artists included Bernardino Luini, Giovanni Antonio Boltraffio, Giovanni Ambrogio de Predis, Giampietrino and Marco d’Oggiono.  

Luini’s Christ among the Doctors was for long considered one of Leonardo’s more celebrated works. We know that Leonardo was approached by the demanding Renaissance patron Isabella d’Este (1474–1539) to supply a painting of this subject. The influence of Leonardo is even more overt in Luini’s Virgin and Child with Saint John, whose composition is inspired by Leonardo’s Virgin of the Rocks.

The paintings of Boltraffio, who worked in Leonardo’s studio, stand out for their delicately modelled flesh tones. This feature, combined with dramatic lighting (or chiaroscuro) gives Boltraffio’s figures an almost sculptural character, as is evident in his commanding Virgin and Child.

Paintings in this room

Giovanni Antonio Boltraffio: 'The Virgin and Child'
The Virgin and Child
Giovanni Antonio Boltraffio
Giampietrino: 'Salome'
Salome
Giampietrino
Associate of Leonardo da Vinci: 'An Angel in Green with a Vielle'
An Angel in Green with a Vielle
Associate of Leonardo da Vinci (Francesco Napoletano?)
After Bernardino Luini: 'Saint Catherine'
Saint Catherine
After Bernardino Luini
Associate of Leonardo da Vinci: 'An Angel in Red with a Lute'
An Angel in Red with a Lute
Giovanni Ambrogio de Predis
Attributed to Giovanni Ambrogio de Predis: 'Profile Portrait of a Lady'
Portrait of a Woman in Profile
Probably by Giovanni Ambrogio de Predis
Workshop of Andrea Solario: 'The Virgin and Child'
The Virgin and Child
Workshop of Andrea Solario