Search the Archive
Search the National Gallery Archive containing records of the Gallery's activities from its foundation in 1824 to the present day. Find out more about the National Gallery Archive.
|Archive reference number||NGA35/1/2|
Wartime Storage: Threats to Storage Environment
File containing typescript and manuscript correspondence concerning wartime plans and other military events which affected the buildings and locations in which the pictures were stored.
[File formerly known as Miscellaneous, numbers 4a-4f in Davies's index. 4a missing at time of cataloguing]
1. Seven letters between Davies and William Pettigrew Gibson [Keeper] concerning the proposal to install an Observer Corps at Caernarvon Castle. 14 August - 13 November 1940
2. Two letters between Davies and William Pettigrew Gibson concerning a proposal to install a machine gun in the College at Bangor. 21 November - 26 November 1940
3. Four letters between Davies and William Pettigrew Gibson concerning a proposal to use part of Penryn Castle for the Ministry of Aircraft Production. 14 May - 29 May 1941
4. Three letters between Major Temple Richards (in charge of works at Manod Quarry) and Captain Matthews (Quarry owner) demanding improvements to the conditions in the quarry. 12-13 March 1941
5. Six letters between Davies and E. Batch (Ministry of Works) concerning the fall of rocks in Manod Quarry with a report of recommendations for environmental improvements by Halcrow and Ritson. 21 November 1942 - 12 March 1943.
|Alternative reference numbers||NG33/2|
Your list will only be saved temporarily. Inactivity of more than an hour could result in the loss of your list. If you would like to keep a record of your list, we suggest you email it to yourself.
Your list of records will be sent to us if you request an appointment, and a summary will be included in your appointment email notification.