Search the Archive
|Archive reference number||NGA27/13/1|
X Day Books
A series of Day Books recording the daily transactions (1 Nov 1873-18 Sep 1980) of Thos. Agnew & Sons with individuals and organisations classed as "Trade". These variously include rival art dealerships, restorers, photographers, framers, and private dealers and/or partners. The information included within each Day Book entry includes:
- Name of account holder
- Credit or Debit sign
- Description of transaction
- Associated Stock, On Sale or Waiting Order number
- Sheet numbers: references to receipts, invoices or correspondence (not retained by Agnew's)
- Associated Ledger page number and occasionally the prefix indicating Ledger series (not all ledger series referenced have been retained within the archive)
- Day Books from volume 27 may split transactions into debit and credit columns and tend to contain additional information, including VAT, auction sales and purchases, insurance, sales and freight returns, etc.
- See NGA27/13 for more information on Day Books in general.
- See NGA27/14 for more information on Ledgers.