Search the Archive
Search the National Gallery Archive containing records of the Gallery's activities from its foundation in 1824 to the present day. Find out more about the National Gallery Archive.
|Archive reference number||NGA27/13/1|
X Day Books
A series of Day Books recording the daily transactions (1 Nov 1873-18 Sep 1980) of Thos. Agnew & Sons with individuals and organisations classed as "Trade". These variously include rival art dealerships, restorers, photographers, framers, and private dealers and/or partners. The information included within each Day Book entry includes:
- Name of account holder
- Credit or Debit sign
- Description of transaction
- Associated Stock, On Sale or Waiting Order number
- Sheet numbers: references to receipts, invoices or correspondence (not retained by Agnew's)
- Associated Ledger page number and occasionally the prefix indicating Ledger series (not all ledger series referenced have been retained within the archive)
- Day Books from volume 27 may split transactions into debit and credit columns and tend to contain additional information, including VAT, auction sales and purchases, insurance, sales and freight returns, etc.
- See NGA27/13 for more information on Day Books in general.
- See NGA27/14 for more information on Ledgers.
Your list will only be saved temporarily. Inactivity of more than an hour could result in the loss of your list. If you would like to keep a record of your list, we suggest you email it to yourself.
Your list of records will be sent to us if you request an appointment, and a summary will be included in your appointment email notification.