Canon Bernardijn Salviati and Three Saints

The saints are, from left to right, Martin (identified by the beggar in the background), Bernardino (the donor's patron) and Donatian. The donor was secretary to the Chapter of Saint Donatian's (Bruges) from 1489, becoming canon in 1498.

The painting may have originated as the left wing of a diptych for the altar of Saints John and Mary Magdalene there, commissioned in 1501. The right wing is probably the 'Crucifixion' in the Gemäldegalerie, Berlin.

Key facts

Artist dates
active 1484; died 1523
Full title
Canon Bernardijn Salviati and Three Saints
Date made
after 1501
Medium and support
Oil on wood
103.4 x 94.3 cm
Acquisition credit
Bequeathed by William Benoni White, 1878
Inventory number
Location in Gallery