Peasants and Cattle by the River Merwede

On the left, in the distance, is the ruined castle of Merwede (Huis te Merwede), which is a mile to the east of Dordrecht. It was built in the 13th century and destroyed about 1420. Its ruins still stand.

Cuyp painted and drew the ruined castle on several occasions and the prominently displayed cows occur in a number of his other paintings. For example, the cow on the left appears in 'The Large Dort', also in the National Gallery's Collection.

Key facts

Artist dates
1620 - 1691
Full title
Peasants and Cattle by the River Merwede
Date made
about 1658-60
Medium and support
Oil on oak
38.1 x 50.8 cm
Inscription summary
Acquisition credit
Bequeathed by John Staniforth Beckett, 1889
Inventory number
Location in Gallery