The Path to the Old Ferry at By

1880, Alfred Sisley

On loan from Tate: Bequeathed by Montague Shearman through the Contemporary Art Society 1940, © 2000 Tate
The village of By was some four miles north-west of Moret, connected to the village of Veneux by a riverside path (see also 'The Small Meadows in Spring'). Until 1872 a ferry had operated from By to the village of Champagne on the opposite bank of the Seine.

This view across the river was one of several painted by Sisley. The scene is a rural one, but shortly after this picture was painted, Champagne was transformed by the building of an electrical factory and workers' houses.

Further information

Essentials

 
  • Share