Avignon from the West

Corot visited Avignon on a number of occasions, but this study probably belongs to a group made on a visit in the summer of 1836 which recapture the clarity and luminosity of his Italian views of 1825-8. It depicts the town from Villeneuve-lès-Avignon on the other side of the Rhône. The buildings dominating the town are the papal palace and (left of centre) the cathedral, Notre-Dame des Doms.

Key facts

Artist dates
1796 - 1875
Full title
Avignon from the West
Date made
Medium and support
Oil on canvas
34 x 73.2 cm
Inscription summary
Acquisition credit
Sir Hugh Lane Bequest, 1917
Inventory number
Location in Gallery