Skip to main content
An Evangelist
Italian, Umbrian (possibly Master of San Crispino)
/

An unidentified male saint in a quatrefoil medallion turns the pages of a book. We are not sure exactly who he is, but he was probably meant to be one of the four Evangelists, the authors of the Gospels. This is one of three fragments in the National Gallery’s collection which possibly came from the Palazzo del Podesta in Assisi. They were perhaps once part of the framing of some large composition.

They were probably painted in the first half of the fourteenth century and have recently been attributed to the so-called Master of San Crispino, who decorated the Oratorio di San Crispino at Assisi in the 1330s.

Key facts
Artist Italian, Umbrian (possibly Master of San Crispino)
Full title An Evangelist
Group Fresco Fragments from the Palazzo Communale, Assisi
Date made mid-14th century
Medium and support Fresco (with areas of secco) transferred to canvas
Dimensions 79.8 x 65.4 cm
Acquisition credit Bought, 1926
Inventory number NG4143
Location in Gallery Not on display
Download image
Download low-resolution image

Download an 800px wide, 72dpi copy of this image.

License this image

License and download a high resolution image for reproductions up to A3 size from the National Gallery Picture Library.

License image
Download low resolution image

This image is licensed for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons agreement.

Examples of non-commercial use are:

  • Research, private study, or for internal circulation within an educational organisation (such as a school, college or university)
  • Non-profit publications, personal websites, blogs, and social media

The image file is 800 pixels on the longest side.

As a charity, we depend upon the generosity of individuals to ensure the collection continues to engage and inspire. Help keep us free by making a donation today.

Yes, I'd like to donate
Or
Download low resolution image

You must agree to the Creative Commons terms and conditions to download this image.

Creative Commons Logo

Fresco Fragments from the Palazzo Communale, Assisi

/

Unlike the vast majority of medieval and Renaissance paintings in our collection, these three fragments were not painted on panels or even linen supports. They are frescoes, which were painted directly onto a freshly plastered wall. They decorated the internal wall of a public building, the Palazzo del Podesta, Assisi, also more accurately known as the Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo, which was built between 1275 and 1288. The interiors of such buildings were often extensively decorated in the Middle Ages and these may well have formed part of the frame of some large composition.

They have recently been attributed to the so-called Master of San Crispino, who decorated the Oratorio di San Crispino at Assisi in the 1330s.

;