Image
The Temple of Vesta at Tivoli seen from the Gorge
The Gere Collection, on long-term loan to the National Gallery, © Private collection 2000. Used by permission

Situated on the edge of the cliff dominating the valley below Tivoli, is the famous antique Temple of Vesta, commonly known as the Temple of the Tiburtine Sibyl. This small circular building, dating from the last years of the Roman Republic, was converted into a church known as Santa Maria della Rotonda in the Middle Ages. It was admired from the 17th century onwards as a fine example of antique architecture.

The artist who painted this dramatic composition has still not been conclusively identified, although Louis Gauffier (1761 - 1801) has been suggested.

Key facts

Artist
Full title
The Temple of Vesta at Tivoli seen from the Gorge
Date made
late 18th century
Medium and support
Oil on paper laid on canvas
Dimensions
28.7 x 18.7 cm
Acquisition credit
The Gere Collection, on long-term loan to the National Gallery
Inventory number
L828
Location in Gallery