Friends of the Courtauld Institute
Archive reference number
Includes correspondence, committee minutes, annual reports and lists of members (mainly relating to the inception and early activities of the Friends).
Alternative reference numbers
The Courtauld Institute was founded in 1932. It was constituted as a Department of London University and its function was the teaching of Art history at undergraduate and graduate level and the general encouragement of interest in fine arts.
By the late 1960s the Institute was experiencing acute problems with space. The Friends of the Institute were formed by Anthony Blunt in September 1969 in an attempt to raise money to help solve the problems relating to lack of space and to raise the profile of the Institute generally.
At it's inception in 1969, Martin Davies agreed to sit on the Committee. He remained on the Committee until his death in 1975 when he was replaced by Michael Levey.