We will only process your information if we have a legal basis for doing so under current UK data protection legislation, including:
Where we have your consent to process your information
We will use your information to communicate with you by email with your consent. Our email updates may include:
- monthly newsletters, what’s on round-ups, exhibition reminders, alerts, and surveys;
- letting you know about our latest exhibitions, courses, talks, news, changes to our services, special offers available in the Gallery shops, café and restaurant we think you'll find of interest, and ways to support the Gallery;
- email reminders – for example, if you started to book a ticket for an exhibition but did not complete the purchase;
- invitations to press and marketing events (if you are signed up to our Press and Marketing updates);
- events and news for people working in UK museums and galleries (if you’re part of our Subject Specialist Network);
- events and news about our research activities, including research seminars and conferences (if you have signed up to our Research updates); or
- if you’re interested in our British Sign Language talks and Family events, you can also let us know via our email preference centre, and we’ll send you emails about these topics too.
Where processing your information is necessary for our legitimate interests
We are committed to communicating with you using an approach that is right for you. This means we carefully manage the communications we send you to make sure that we are contacting you in the most relevant way.
In order to do this, we may combine the information we collect about you and that we receive from the National Gallery Company Ltd. and analyse what we know about your interests, preferences, and interactions with our website(s) and marketing emails to create a profile, so we can contact you in the most appropriate way, and with the most relevant information.
Examples of communications that use profiling in this manner include our email updates, some newsletters, exhibition pre- and post-visit emails, abandon browse, abandon basket, recommendations, favourites, and associated updates.
You do have the right to object to us combining and analysing information in this way. To make this easy for you, if you tell us that you don’t want to receive personalised emails via the ‘More for you from the National Gallery’ section of our email preference centre, we will treat this as an objection to the combining and analysing of your data and will stop dealing with your data in this way and sending you personalised emails.
Changing your email update preferences
You can change your email preferences or unsubsribe at any time by:
- logging into our email preference centre here, using the email address to which our emails are sent and indicating which type of emails you want to receive from us, including personalised emails;
- indicating that you do not wish to receive our emails by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the end of our emails and/or via our email preference centre; or
- contacting us at email@example.com.