What personal information do we collect about our email subscribers?
We only collect information that is necessary to keep you informed about the Gallery and its activities. The personal information we collect from you as an email subscriber may include your:
- email address;
- country of residence;
- current interests and preferences;
- product selections and purchases of goods or services from the National Gallery Company Ltd.;
- contact preferences; or
- information about your ticket purchases and event registrations/attendances.
Under data protection law, certain categories of personal information are recognised as sensitive, including health information and information regarding race, religious beliefs, and political opinions (‘special category data’). We do not collect special category personal data about email subscribers.
How do we collect your personal information as an email subscriber?
Information you give us
We collect personal information that you may provide to us, including when you:
- sign up to our email updates;
- complete a visitor survey or enter a competition; or
- buy a ticket to an exhibition, event, or another service from the Gallery.
Information we get from your use of our website(s) and services
We collect information about the services you use and how you use them in a number of ways, including when you:
- view and interact with our emails, advertisements, and content.
Information from third parties
We may also receive information about you from third parties, for example when you:
- enter a competition run on a partner website (and agree to the sharing of your information with us);
- follow the National Gallery’s social media channels, subject to your privacy settings on those channels; or
- make a purchase from the National Gallery Company Ltd.
How do we use your information as an email subscriber and what is our legal basis for processing it?
We will only process your information if we have a legal basis for doing so under current UK data protection legislation, including:
Where we have your consent to process your information
We will use your information to communicate with you by email with your consent. Our email updates may include:
- monthly newsletters, what’s on round-ups, exhibition reminders, alerts, and surveys;
- letting you know about our latest exhibitions, courses, talks, news, changes to our services, special offers available in the Gallery shops, café and restaurant we think you'll find of interest, and ways to support the Gallery;
- email reminders – for example, if you started to book a ticket for an exhibition but did not complete the purchase;
- invitations to press and marketing events (if you are signed up to our Press and Marketing updates);
- events and news for people working in UK museums and galleries (if you’re part of our Subject Specialist Network);
- events and news about our research activities, including research seminars and conferences (if you have signed up to our Research updates); or
- if you’re interested in our British Sign Language talks and Family events, you can also let us know via our email preference centre, and we’ll send you emails about these topics too.
Where processing your information is necessary for our legitimate interests
We are committed to communicating with you using an approach that is right for you. This means we carefully manage the communications we send you to make sure that we are contacting you in the most relevant way.
In order to do this, we may combine the information we collect about you and that we receive from the National Gallery Company Ltd. and analyse what we know about your interests, preferences, and interactions with our website(s) and marketing emails to create a profile, so we can contact you in the most appropriate way, and with the most relevant information.
Examples of communications that use profiling in this manner include our email updates, some newsletters, exhibition pre- and post-visit emails, abandon browse, abandon basket, recommendations, favourites, and associated updates.
You do have the right to object to us combining and analysing information in this way. To make this easy for you, if you tell us that you don’t want to receive personalised emails via the ‘More for you from the National Gallery’ section of our email preference centre, we will treat this as an objection to the combining and analysing of your data and will stop dealing with your data in this way and sending you personalised emails.
Changing your email update preferences
You can change your email preferences or unsubsribe at any time by:
- logging into our email preference centre here, using the email address to which our emails are sent and indicating which type of emails you want to receive from us, including personalised emails;
- indicating that you do not wish to receive our emails by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the end of our emails and/or via our email preference centre; or
- contacting us at email@example.com.
What other organisations do we share your information with?
We will not sell your personal information to any third parties or external organisations.
Sharing your information with the National Gallery Company Ltd.
Where you agree to receive emails from us, we share your information with the National Gallery Company Ltd., which runs the shops and provides other services in the Gallery, but you will not receive emails from the company about the shops or the other services they provide unless you expressly opt to do so through our email preference centre.
Sharing your information with our service providers/external data processors
We may share some of your personal information with our service providers/external data processors, to carry work out on our behalf. Examples of such service providers/data processors include our email distribution service provider who sends out and helps us tailor our emails.
Any such companies are acting as our data processors and the contracts we enter into with them require them to comply with UK data protection laws, to process your information only for the purposes we specify, and make sure they have the appropriate controls in place to protect the security of your information.
How long do we keep your information?
Generally we will only keep information about you for as long as you subscribe to our emails. However, we are required to keep a minimal amount of your personal information (your name and email address) if you indicate that you do not wish to be contacted for email communications purposes. These details are kept securely on a suppression list to help us make sure that we do not continue to contact you for marketing purposes.