What this means for our Members
This section contains additional information specific to our Members and must be read in conjunction with our General Privacy Notice.
When you purchase a Membership in your own name, or for yourself and a Joint named Member, we will process your personal information (including your name and address) to fulfil our Membership services to you while you remain a Member of the Gallery, and for our own market research and analysis, in accordance with this notice.
We only collect information that is necessary to run our Membership programme, fulfil our obligations to you, and keep you informed about the Gallery and its activities. You will find information about the personal information we may collect about you in our General Privacy Notice.
Special categories of personal data
We only collect special categories of personal information in limited cases and where there is a clear reason for doing so, such as in relation to accessibility to Members' events, recording accidents, or dietary requirements for events.
In addition to the personal information listed in our General Privacy Notice, we will only process the following additional personal information about our Members if we have a legal basis for doing so under current UK data protection law:
- Where we need to process your information to perform our Membership contract with you or in order to take steps at your request prior to the entering into of the contract, for example:
- to process payments;
- to fulfil orders for exhibition tickets or other events or services;
- to provide you with Membership benefits, which you are contractually entitled to receive:
to send you your Membership card and pack;
- to use your email address to enable you to book exhibition tickets and tickets for Members' events online;
- to send you service communications by email; and
- to send you limited information by post, including your Membership card and pack, and renewal reminders.
- Where we have your consent to process your information, for example:
- where you have agreed to receive Members' email updates in relation to the Gallery.
Where you have given consent to the processing of your data you may withdraw it at any time. See General Privacy Notice for further details.
- Where processing your information is necessary for our legitimate interests, for example:
- to process donations;
- where we combine information we hold about you to better understand your interests and preferences so that we can target communications we send to you (see below 'Membership communications');
- where we conduct general quantitative research on Gallery Membership;
- to invite you to take part in surveys, to improve the Gallery’s experience and product offering; and
- to send marketing materials to you by post (subject to any objection from you to marketing by post and the Mail Preference Service (‘MPS’).
Where we are relying on this basis of processing you have the right to object to this. See our General Privacy Notice for further details.
Communicating with Members
Members will be among the first to hear about Members' events, offers, news, and ways to support the Gallery.
Gallery Membership is administered almost exclusively through online channels. When you join as a Member, you will be asked for your email address, which may be used to send you confirmation of payment, a welcome email, and direct debit notifications. You can also opt in to receive email updates, which may include information about our collection, merchandise, Members’ events exhibitions, news, appeals, and offers and products available in our shops and restaurants.
You can unsubscribe from marketing or fundraising emails or change your email preferences at any time. Please see below ‘changing your email preferences’.
If you chose not to provide an email address, the only communications you will receive from us will be those very limited communications which we send by post, including the Membership card and pack (which form part of your Membership benefits) and a postal reminder about renewal.
We will only telephone you directly at the contact number you’ve provided when it is deemed the most appropriate channel to effectively resolve any issues or queries you may have with your Membership, or a Gift Membership you may have purchased.
Tailoring our emails and services
We are committed to communicating with you using an approach that is right for you. This means we carefully manage the communications we send you to make sure we are contacting you in the most relevant way.
In order to do this, we may combine the information we collect about you from different sources (including via the Board of Trustees of the National Gallery or National Gallery Global Limited) and analyse what we know about your interests, preferences, and interactions with our website(s) and marketing emails to target communications we send to you so that we can contact you in the most appropriate way, and with the most relevant information. Example communications that use profiling in this manner include our Members' email updates, some newsletters, exhibition pre- and post-visit emails, abandon browse, abandon basket, recommendations, favourites, associated updates, and email reminders about renewing your Membership.
You do have the right to object to us combining and analysing information in this way. If you do not want to receive personalised communications, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will stop dealing with your data in this way and sending you personalised communications.
Changing your email preferences
You can change your email preferences at any time by:
- logging into our email preference centre using the email address to which our emails are sent, and indicating which type of emails you want to receive from us;
- indicating that you do not wish to receive any email updates by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the end of our emails or via the email preference centre; or
- contacting us at Membership@nationalgallery.org.uk.
If you have indicated that you do not wish to be contacted by email, we will maintain a minimal amount of your personal information (for example, your name, email address, or postal address) to make sure that we do not send unwanted correspondence to that email address in the future.
You will continue to receive service communications that you cannot opt out of.
When your Membership ends
When your Membership ends, you will be automatically opted out of Membership emails, including Members’ newsletters and updates about Member events.
However, you will continue to receive general Gallery email updates and postal communications if you are an email subscriber (see What this means for our email and postal subscribers) to let you know what is happening at the Gallery, and give you an opportunity to renew your Membership. If you do not wish to hear from us after your Membership expires, you can unsubscribe using the 'unsubscribe' link at the end of our emails, or via the email preference centre.