The Virgin and Child are enthroned before a landscape. The Christ Child holds a cross in his left hand and in his right hand what seems to be a small scourge or whip, references to the Passion of Christ.
The vast and ornate architectural canopy behind them, with its wealth of curving arches, is typical of the taste for such backgrounds in the Low Countries in the early 16th century, and may initially have been the work of a specialist painter, perhaps the assistants of Jan van Coninxloo’s kinsman Cornelis. Jan seems then to have altered it considerably and added the figures for whom he took inspiration from the Virgin and Child by Jan Gossaert (Jan Gossart), the painting therefore probably dates from about 1530. The integral frame is original.