The National Gallery Contemporary Fellowship
Supported by Art Fund
Apply now for your chance to work with the National Gallery and a leading contemporary artist
The National Gallery Contemporary Fellowship, supported by Art Fund, is a pioneering, peer-to-peer collaboration between the National Gallery and a UK partner museum, awarded to an artist of international standing and renown and resulting in an exhibition at both venues.
Conceived from the start as a collaboration between the National Gallery and a regional partner, the project will award a Fellowship to one of today’s most exciting international artists, leading to a 2022 exhibition at the National Gallery including new work inspired by the partner museums’ collections. This exhibition will be exhibited at the partner museum in 2023 before travelling internationally. The regional partner will receive substantial financial support (c.£40,000) towards the realisation of the project and exhibition.
The National Gallery Fellow
The successful fellow will be an artist of international standing with a major body of work that has significantly contributed to 20th and 21st century art. In particular, this body of work is supposed to relate to the partner museum’s collection as well as critically complement the National Gallery’s traditional collection focus on ‘painting in the Western European tradition’ to reflect the diversity of 20th and 21st century artistic practice and lived experience.
Why you should apply
Applications are open to all public collecting institutions from the UK.
The successful museum will:
- help appoint the National Gallery Fellow
- receive regular visitors from the fellow to meet your staff, visitors and supporters
- co-curate the associated exhibition in collaboration with the National Gallery
- contribute to the exhibition catalogue
- receive advice from the National Gallery and Art Fund to fundraise to acquire a work from the associated exhibition
- receive substantial financial support (c.£40,000) towards the realisation of the project and exhibition
- benefit from the expertise and knowledge within the partnership
How to apply
Tell us why your museum would be an interesting partner for this project and answer the application questions.
Applications close on Friday 18 October 2019.
Email you application to email@example.com
The application will be reviewed by the National Gallery. We will inform you about the success of your application on Monday 18 November 2019
If you would like to discuss any aspects of an application please contact Daniel Herrmann, Curator of Modern & Contemporary Projects, The National Gallery at firstname.lastname@example.org.