Installation of a Combined Heat and Power (CHP) unit
The other significant project highlighted in the plan is the installation of an 840KW Jenbacher Combined Heat and Power (CHP) unit powered by natural gas. This unit will provide the base load of the Gallery's electrical requirements in the future, at natural gas energy tariffs, whilst also providing about 800 KW of waste heat to provide our base heating requirements for the site. This will reduce demand on conventional boilers saving more energy and increasing the overall efficiency of the system.
The total saving is predicted to be around 1440 tonnes CO2 per annum and the unit was installed in spring 2012. Savings from this CHP unit are estimated to be around £295,000 per annum based on 2010 tariffs.
- Improving our environment
- Earlier projects
- Re-examination of National Gallery lighting
- Maximising the appropriate use of natural light
- Installation of LED based lighting in the picture galleries
- Installation of a Combined Heat and Power (CHP) unit
- Additional recent smaller scale projects