Dr Ludwig Mond

In 1909 the chemist and art collector, Dr Ludwig Mond (1839-1909), bequeathed his collection of 42 pictures to the National Gallery.

Mond's collection included paintings by Raphael, Titian, Bellini and Cranach among many others. In 1928 the Mond Room was built with the aid of a grant from the estate of Dr Mond to house his collection of paintings.

After the end of the Second World War, the National Gallery and the Mond family agreed to distribute the bequest throughout the collection.  A plaque with an inscription was placed in the Mond Room as a permanent memorial to the generosity of Ludwig Mond.