Skip to main content
Saint Lawrence
Hans Memling
/

Saint Lawrence is dressed as a deacon and holds a book and the grill on which he was martyred. This panel was part of a small triptych (a painting in three parts) made around 1480 for Benedetto Pagagnotti of Florence. The central panel shows the Virgin and Child and is now in the Uffizi, Florence, while the left wing, which depicts Saint John the Baptist, is also in the National Gallery’s collection.

The other figures in this triptych appear in a number of altarpieces by Hans Memling, but there was no prototype for Saint Lawrence. Unlike John the Baptist, the underdrawing for this figure is slight and has very few changes. Memling must have produced a preliminary design especially for this figure, which would have been approved by the commissioner and which would then have been copied carefully onto the panel, avoiding the need for extensive underdrawing.

Key facts
Artist Hans Memling
Artist dates active 1465; died 1494
Full title Saint Lawrence
Group Two Panels from a Triptych
Date made about 1480
Medium and support Oil on oak
Dimensions 57.5 x 17.1 cm
Acquisition credit Bought, 1865
Inventory number NG747.2
Location in Gallery Room 63
Download image
Download low-resolution image

Download a low-resolution copy of this image for personal use.

License this image

License and download a high-resolution image for reproductions up to A3 size from the National Gallery Picture Library.

License image
Download low-resolution image

This image is licensed for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons agreement.

Examples of non-commercial use are:

  • Research, private study, or for internal circulation within an educational organisation (such as a school, college or university)
  • Non-profit publications, personal websites, blogs, and social media

The image file is 800 pixels on the longest side.

As a charity, we depend upon the generosity of individuals to ensure the collection continues to engage and inspire. Help keep us free by making a donation today.

Yes, I'd like to donate
Or
Download low-resolution image

You must agree to the Creative Commons terms and conditions to download this image.

Creative Commons Logo

Two Panels from a Triptych

/

These panels were once the wings of a small triptych (a painting in three parts), the centre panel of which – The Virgin and Child with Two Angels – is now in the Uffizi, Florence. The altarpiece was demonstrably in Florence by the end of the fifteenth century, as its landscape backgrounds were frequently copied by Florentine artists of the time.

This composition, with the Virgin and Child enthroned and flanked by standing saints, was a popular product of Hans Memling’s workshop. The Virgin, Christ and angels in the Uffizi painting reappear in several other works by him, including The Donne Triptych (also in the National Gallery’s collection).

On the outside of the wings nine beautifully painted cranes stand in a dark landscape beneath the coat of arms and emblems of the Pagagnotti family. The triptych’s first owner was almost certainly the high-ranking bishop Benedetto Pagagnotti, who used the crane and compasses as his emblem.

;