You can book a free Talking Paintings session tailored to the needs of your group. We also offer sessions for students with special needs.
Take One Picture
The National Gallery's Take One Picture scheme focuses on a painting from the collection to inspire cross-curricular work in primary classrooms.
Each year the Gallery displays a selection of schools' work in the Take One Picture exhibition. Find out how to get involved, or explore the free resources.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
The Gallery offers a programme of continuing professional development for primary teachers through our Take One Picture CPD sessions and Inspiration through InSET sessions below.
Inspiration through InSET
Continue your professional development with our interactive Gallery-based sessions, which:
- provide teaching strategies you can use to ignite imagination and boost engagement
- raise your confidence in enabling pupils to look and respond critically and creatively
- deepen your understanding of the power of paintings to promote learning.
We can also offer InSET sessions as outreach.
- Duration: Half day (180 minutes)
- Cost: £375. Free for trainee teachers
- Group size: 25 maximum
We will tailor the session to meet your needs, focusing on at least one of the following themes:
- Cross-curricular learning – learn how to plan learner-led investigations which start with a painting and make meaningful links right across the curriculum
- Literacy – use paintings as a creative context for stimulating literacy across the curriculum
- Sketchbook skills – build confidence in using sketchbooks that record, review, and reflect; give context, boost vocabulary, and create cross-curricular connections
- Multi-media – practical art activities and approaches that take inspiration from the National Gallery Collection
To discuss your requirements and to make a booking, contact us on 020 7747 5890 or email email@example.com.
Enjoy a tour of the Gallery, a trip around a temporary exhibition, or a meeting with our team of Young Producers as we show you how our collection can support teaching and learning in your school. Designed for both primary and secondary teachers, these evenings allow you to learn new skills, network and unwind after a long week!
Dates: 12 October 2018, 15 March 2019, 21 June 2019
To book, please contact us on 020 7747 5890 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Initial Teacher Education
The National Gallery offers free Gallery sessions for ITE students. The Gallery also works with several colleges to provide placements for trainee teachers. Find out more.
Free teachers' resources
Find out more how you can incorporate a National Gallery painting into your lessons. Use our teachers' resources for inspiration.