November 2022: Online session
The focus painting for the 2024 exhibition is 'Surprised!' by Henri Rousseau.
A flash of lightning and a clap of thunder, a tiger crouches in thick jungle foliage with its back arched and teeth bared – but is it the hunter, or the hunted?
We will explore how this painting can be used to inspire learning across the curriculum, from art and literacy to science and geography.
All sessions are free of charge.
This online training session over Zoom offers the opportunity to:
- Learn about the Take One Picture Programme, and facilitating child-led projects
- Investigate strategies for engaging children with paintings, such as looking, drawing and storytelling
- Use paintings to develop children’s visual literacy, enquiry and oracy skills
- Learn about this year’s focus painting and artist
- Explore the pedagogy and practice of using paintings as a rich resource for cross-curricular learning
- Receive a link to supporting resources, including a high-resolution image file of the focus painting
Online CPD sessions over Zoom are taking place on:
If you would prefer to attend an onsite session at the Gallery, please take a look at our onsite dates:
About Take One Picture
Take One Picture is our national programme for primary schools, which aims to inspire a lifelong love of art and learning.
Every year, we take one picture from the collection to inspire cross-curricular work in primary classrooms.
Activity around each focus painting takes place in four stages, culminating in an annual exhibition of children's work at the Gallery.