Search the Archive
Search the National Gallery Archive containing records of the Gallery's activities from its foundation in 1824 to the present day. Find out more about the National Gallery Archive.
|Archive reference number||NGA27/14/8|
A series of ledger volumes containing indexed accounts of clients registered as "S" (1898-1929). Common transactions include the sale of works of art, framing, insurance, and conveyancing. Although the date range is similar to the Manchester Ledgers (see NGA27/14/1) it is not clear whether "S" accounts were linked to the Manchester branch or were used as general records. The ledgers contain the following information for debits (on the left hand side of each page) and credits (right hand side):
- Description (e.g. Picture; Cash)
- Day Book volume and page number (or equivalent volume, e.g. Cash Book; these have not been retained by the archive).
- See NGA27/14 for more information about Ledgers in general.
- Accounts opened prior to 1898 may have been transferred from some of the miscellaneous ledgers (see NGA27/14/12).
- Any accounts which were still open after 1929 were transferred to the London Ledgers (see NGA27/14/2).
Your list will only be saved temporarily. Inactivity of more than an hour could result in the loss of your list. If you would like to keep a record of your list, we suggest you email it to yourself.
Your list of records will be sent to us if you request an appointment, and a summary will be included in your appointment email notification.