Christ is shown holding the banner of the Resurrection. He is surrounded by choirs of angels; Saint Michael is identifiable at the left of the third row on the right.
This, along with four other panels showing respectively, 'The Virgin Mary with the Apostles and Other Saints', 'The Forerunners of Christ with Saints and Martyrs', 'The Dominican Blessed' and another panel of 'The Dominican Blessed', formed the predella, or lower section, of the high altarpiece of San Domenico at Fiesole, near Florence. This was the church of Fra Angelico's own Dominican friary. The predella shows the most elaborate depiction of the Court of Heaven in the Collection. Christ stands in the centre surrounded by angels, saints and martyrs.
The church of San Domenico was dedicated in 1435, and Fra Angelico's picture was probably in place on the high altar by that time. The main panel was modified by Lorenzo di Credi around 1501. This and the painted pilaster are still in the church.