CloseZoom In
 
 
Zoom Out
Petrus Christus: 'Edward Grimston'
On loan from the Earl of Verulam, © Private collection 2000. Used by permission

Edward Grimston was a diplomat in the service of Henry VI, King of England. He holds a chain of linked SSs, a Lancastrian device, in his hands. On the wall of the room behind him are two shields with his coats of arms.

In 1446 Grimston is known to have visited Calais and Brussels as an ambassador, and it would have been easy for Grimston also to visit Bruges, where Petrus Christus worked.


Further information

Essentials

 
  • Share