This panel and 'An Angel' are the outsides of the wings of an altarpiece, probably from a triptych. The inside of the wings were painted with images of 'Saint Joseph' and 'Saint Jerome', also in the Collection. The central image of the altarpiece, presumably of the Virgin, is lost. When the two panels were shut, the inscriptions would read 'Ave Regina Coelorvm' (Hail Queen of Heaven).
It has recently been maintained that this group of works is in fact from Moretto's studio, probably dating from about 1540.