The Child is blessing with his right hand and holds a small scroll in his left hand.
This panel and 'The Man of Sorrows' had been separated since at least 1926, and probably many centuries before that. They were recently recognised as having originally formed a diptych. They were painted by an unknown artist, probably Umbrian, in about 1260. Together with 'The Man of Sorrows' (formerly Stoclet Collection, Brussels), this is probably one of the earliest surviving examples of that combination in Italian painting.