Two angels shown above Christ's crucified body cannot bear to look at him and cover their eyes and mouths.
This panel and 'The Virgin and Child' had been separated since at least 1926, and probably many centuries before that. They were recently recognised as having originally formed a diptych. They were painted by an unknown, probably Umbrian, painter in about 1260. 'The Man of Sorrows' (formerly Stoclet Collection, Brussels) is among the earliest surviving examples of that image in Italian painting.