CloseZoom In
 
 
Zoom Out
Lucas Cranach the Elder: 'Saints Christina and Ottilia'
This painting is part of the group: The St Catherine Altarpiece: Reverses of Shutters
Saint Christina of Bolsena stands on a millstone to which she was tied and thrown into a lake, but she miraculously survived because the stone floated. Her companion, Saint Ottilia of Alsace displays her eyes, to show her blindness was cured; she was a Benedictine nun.

This painting and 'Saints Genevieve and Apollonia' were the outsides of the shutters of 'The St Catherine Altarpiece' in Dresden. It was one of the first works Cranach painted after having entered the service of Frederick the Wise, Elector of Saxony in Wittenberg in 1505.

Other paintings in this group: The St Catherine Altarpiece: Reverses of Shutters


Further information

Essentials

 
  • Share