About the building
Building the Gallery
The National Gallery stands on the former site of the King's Mews. The Gallery's architect, William Wilkins, used many of the construction methods of the Mews building when he built the National Gallery.
In 1826 nearby Carlton House, former home of the Prince Regent, was demolished but its impressive columns were saved.
Wilkins selected eight of the columns for use in his new National Gallery building. In the event, he then decided they were too small for the central portico. However, it is conceivable that they were eventually used in the east and west porticos.