The Virgin and Child are shown in a marble niche or throne. Two angels look on from behind. The pilasters have Corinthian capitals.
It has been suggested that the picture, which is dated 1461, was painted in Bologna where the artist settled in about 1459.
A picture attributed to Giovanni Francesco da Rimini in the Walker Art Gallery (Liverpool) is related to this composition. The solid forms, their volume and the resemblance to carved marble reliefs may be indebted to the sculpture of Agostino di Duccio who was active in Rimini in the 1450s and Bologna in the 1460s.