Standing left, Saint Maximus Vitalianus, second bishop of Padua. Seated right, probably Saint Oswald, King of Northumbria, (about 605 - 642), involved in the evangelisation of the northern kingdoms of England. The cult of Saint Oswald had a long tradition in the Veneto; he was invoked as a protector against the plague.

An altarpiece of saints Maximus and Oswald was painted about 1742 by Tiepolo for the church in Padua dedicated to them both. This is unlikely to be a preparatory sketch, rather a derivation from it of around 1745.

Key facts

Artist
Artist dates
1696 - 1770
Full title
Saints Maximus and Oswald (?)
Date made
about 1745
Medium and support
Oil on canvas
Dimensions
58.4 x 32.4 cm
Acquisition credit
Bought, 1885
Inventory number
NG1192
Location in Gallery