The Market Place and Town Hall, Haarlem
On loan from the Victoria and Albert Museum

The view is of the west side of the market place (Grote Markt). Facing the spectator is the town hall, which was built in the 14th century as a palace of the Counts of Holland and altered in the 1630s. On the gable of the projecting part of the building is a statue of Justice and, above it, the arms of Haarlem. On the right, beside the town hall, is the beginning of the Zijlstraat. The entrance to the Grote Houtstraat is between the houses on the extreme left. On the roof of the town hall are nesting boxes for storks.

This is a late version of a composition often painted by Berckheyde. A chalk sketch by Berckheyde of the left half of this view is in the Teylers Museum, Haarlem.

Key facts

Artist
Artist dates
1638 - 1698
Full title
The Market Place and Town Hall, Haarlem
Date made
about 1691
Medium and support
Oil on oak
Dimensions
31.9 x 40.3 cm
Inscription summary
Signed
Acquisition credit
On loan from the Victoria and Albert Museum
Inventory number
L1120
Location in Gallery