This altarpiece originally came from the high altar of the Franciscan church of S. Guglielmo, Ferrara. Appropriately, most of the saints are Franciscans: Saint Francis, the founder of the Order, Saint Clare, and Saint Anthony of Padua. The church belonged to nuns of that Order. There is documentary evidence for dating the altarpiece to 1517-18.
There is documentary evidence for dating the altarpiece to 1517-18: Garofalo received his payment of 60 lire, and a bonus of 18 lire from Antonio de' Costabili for having done the job so well.