Francisco Gerónimo Simón (1578 - 1612) was a priest of the parish of S. Andrés, Valencia. He led an ascetic life and was renowned for his piety and charity. The painting faithfully follows contemporary accounts of the regular visions of Christ carrying the cross seen by Father Simón. He initially had these in the Calle de Caballeros, which was a street along which condemned criminals were led to execution.
This work was probably commissioned by the priests of S. Andrés sometime after Father Simón's death for the chapel where his body was laid to rest. It was completed and placed on the altar in the new chapel on 5 September 1612.