This painting of the Tuileries Gardens in Paris was Manet's first major work depicting modern city life. The band is playing and a fashionable crowd has gathered to listen.
The picture includes portraits of Manet's friends and family. These include Manet himself as well as:
- Baudelaire - poet (1821 - 1867)
- Théophile Gautier - poet and novelist (1811 - 1872)
- Ignace Fantin-Latour - flower-painter (1836 - 1904)
- Jacques Offenbach (1819 - 1880) - composer
- Eugène - the artist's brother (1833 - 1892)