This picture originally formed the upper part of an altarpiece in the Franciscan church at Montefiore dell'Aso near Fermo (in the Marches). A Virgin and Child from the original polyptych is now in the Musée Royaux des Beaux-Arts, Brussels.

Realistic details, such as the thorns penetrating the flesh of Christ’s forehead and his graphically described wounds, reflect Franciscan teaching which dwelt on the suffering of Christ.

Key facts

Artist
Artist dates
about 1430/5 - about 1494
Full title
The Dead Christ supported by Two Angels
Date made
about 1470-5
Medium and support
Tempera on poplar
Dimensions
72.4 x 55.2 cm
Inscription summary
Signed; Inscribed
Acquisition credit
Bought, 1859
Inventory number
NG602
Location in Gallery