Agucchi was a cleric from Bologna who championed the artists of his city. In 1610 he published an influential treatise on painting.
The originality of this portrait, with its unusual informality and the striking intensity of Agucchi’s gaze, has made it a difficult work to attribute. The painting has also been ascribed to Domenichino (1581–1641).
The painting is on loan from York Art Gallery which will reopen in 2015 with new display spaces and the Centre for British Studio Ceramics. To find out more visit the York Art Gallery website [External link].