Take One Picture
Facilitating enquiry-based learning with a painting as a central stimulus. For individual primary teachers.
A core element of the Take One Picture scheme is to provide primary teachers with opportunities to share ideas, learning and practice. This course for individuals is planned specifically with this in mind, offering an opportunity for primary teachers working across the UK to network with peers in a world-renowned collection of paintings and to develop ownership of the Take One Picture project.
The sessions will be held on the following dates:
Friday 10 October 2014, 10.30am – 3.45pm
Friday 12 December 2014, 10.30am – 3.45pm
Friday 6 March 2015, 10.30am – 3.45pm
Monday 1 June 2015, 10.30am – 3.45pm
How to Book
To book, please complete the booking form above. Instructions for sending are included on the form.
The course fee for individuals is £90 per teacher and includes tea and coffee on arrival, prints of the painting and a discount voucher for Gallery shops.
Please note lunch is not provided but there are rooms available for your use.
About the course
Enjoy time together in a world-renowned collection of paintings and develop shared ownership of the Take One Picture project.
The focus painting for 2014–15 is
about 1750, by Thomas Gainsborough.
Through a combination of short presentations, discussion and a Gallery workshop, the day offers the opportunity to:
- experience the National Gallery’s collection first hand with a particular emphasis on the focus painting
- develop strategies for developing pupils’ skill and confidence in looking at and responding to paintings
- network with other teachers from across the United Kingdom
- explore the pedagogy and practice of using a National Gallery painting as a rich context for learning across the curriculum
- consider ways of working with the local community and planning for learning outside the classroom
‘The day was fantastic and inspiring and we gained so much as a school’ [Head Teacher, February 2012]
To access further information, download free resources or to view previous exhibitions and accompanying films, visit www.takeonepicture.org.uk
Image above: Detail from Thomas Gainsborough,, about 1750