John Warrington Wood

1839 - 1886
John Warrington Wood was a sculptor of mythological and biblical subjects, and portrait busts. He exhibited works at the Royal Academy from 1868 to 1874. Born in Warrington, Lancashire in 1839, he trained as a stonemason. He moved to Rome in 1861, which was his main place of work.

He adopted Warrington as his middle name to distinguish his name from that of the older sculptor John Wood (1801 - 70). He sculpted a medallion of Keats for the Protestant Cemetery in Rome in 1876. In 1877 he was elected to the Guild of St. Luke in Rome. His statues of Raphael and Michelangelo stand at the entrance to the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool. Some of his best work is in the Warrington Art Gallery.

Related paintings

Sir Austen Henry Layard
John Warrington Wood
1881
Sir Austen Henry Layard
 
  • Share