Minutes of the Board of Trustees - September 2006
The meeting scheduled for Friday 8 September 2006 was cancelled but the papers were circulated and Trustees were asked to approve papers and accept recommendations contained in them where they felt able to do so. As a result, the following decisions were taken.
Minutes of the last meeting
1. The Board approved the minutes of the meeting held on 7 July 2006 which have since been signed by the Chairman.
2. The Board noted the Director’s report.
Licence application: the Board authorised the Gallery to instruct Farrer & Co to make an application to Westminster City Council on behalf of the Gallery’s Education Department for an amendment to the Gallery’s Premises Licence to allow the Gallery, at their discretion, to charge an entrance fee for films shown in the Gallery buildings.
3. The Board noted the Masterplan paper for discussion at a Board meeting later in the year.
Quarterly management report
4. The Board approved the quarterly management report.
Performance v. objectives
5. The Board approved the full year report for the year ended 31 March 2006 showing the Gallery’s performance versus objectives.
6. The Board agreed to the loan requests, including those relating to the travelling exhibition of Dutch portraits and those recommended with qualifications, as put forward in the Senior Curator’s paper; endorsed the Gallery’s decisions not to lend; and noted the extension from 27 August to 10 September 2006 of the exhibition, Raffaello. Da Firenze a Roma at the Galleria Borghese in Rome (NG loans affected: NG 213 and 744).
7. The Board noted the Omand report and that the Gallery had either addressed or was in the process of addressing all those recommendations which applied to them. The report was due to be discussed by the Audit Committee in November. Any issues raised then could be brought back to the Board if necessary.
Grant application from NGC
8. The Board authorised the grant to the National Gallery Company of a total of $32,000 (£17,158) towards the publication of Volumes 27 (additional material) and 28 of the 'National Gallery Technical Bulletin'. This grant has been made possible by donations to the American Friends of the National Gallery, London from Mrs Charles Wrightsman and the Samuel H. Kress Foundation which the Directors of AFNGL have agreed can be used for this purpose.
9. The Board noted the report on picture movements.
There was no other business.
Confidential and sensitive information has been excluded from these published minutes in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000