Minutes of the Board of Trustees - October 2007
Meeting held Friday 5 October 2007
The Chairman warmly welcomed Patricia Lankester to her first meeting of the Board.
Process of appointment of the next Director
1. The Board met to discuss issues arising out of the process of appointment of the next Director in the absence of staff.
Minutes of the last meeting and matters arising
2. The Board approved the minutes of the meeting held on 7 September 2007 subject to minor amendments. They were later signed by the Chairman.
Matters arising - The joint dinner with the Board of Tate: subjects for discussion at the dinner were mooted. The Chairman would raise them with the Chairman of Tate.
3. The Board approved the proposals to apply to the AFNGL for a grant of $10,000 in support of costs associated with the loan of a sculpture from Siena to the Gallery for the 2007 exhibition, 'Renaissance Siena: Art for a City' and a further grant of $990,000 in support of the exhibition 'Painting and Sculpture in the Spanish Golden Age'.
The Board welcomed the agreement arrived at with Eurostar to create an interactive National Gallery lounge at the St Pancras Terminal.
4. There was a discussion on this matter.
5. The Head of Development presented the Development Strategy for 2007/8. She confirmed that the present paper focussed on fundraising for revenue requirements. As stated in the summary of recommendations, she identified the priorities as those set out in sections 5.1 to 5.5 of the report. The Board thanked her for a very thorough and professional report, which they fully supported
The Board approved the proposals for investment in 3-4 new posts (together with associated direct expenditure) in order to generate the increased revenue projected in the report, which the Head of Development anticipated would come on line two years after new staff were in post.
Minutes of Committees of the Board
6. The Board noted the Minutes of the Nominations Committee of 12 June and 10 July 2007.
7. The Board noted the report on loans out.
8. The Board noted the report on picture movements.
Any other Business9. There being no other business, the Chairman declared the meeting closed.
Copies of previous Board minutes can be obtained from the Libraries and Archive department.
Confidential and sensitive information has been excluded from these published minutes in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000