Minutes of the Board of Trustees - April 2007
Meeting held Friday 13 April 2007
The Board met without staff present at the beginning of the meeting, to discuss issues arising out of the resignation of the Director.
The staff joined the meeting. The Board expressed their regret at the prospective departure of the Director to join the Royal Academy and reiterated all that they had expressed in their press release concerning his remarkable achievements during his five year period at the Gallery. They conveyed to the Director their warm hope that he would enjoy a very successful tenure of office at the Royal Academy.
Minutes of the last meeting and matters arising
1. The Board approved the minutes of the meeting held on 9 March 2007. They were signed by the Chairman.
Report of the Remuneration Committee
2. The Board approved the recommendation of the Remuneration Committee.
Process of Appointment of the Next Director
3. The Board agreed that in the first instance a sub-group should be formed to consider (probably with the assistance of an external consultant) the first stages of the process. The Chairman would solicit volunteers to form part of the sub-group.
- The Director of Conservation reported that Pierre Curie, conservateur en chef du patrimonie, Inventaire General, Paris had agreed to join the External Review body for Conservation, and he anticipated that the first meeting of the group would take place in June.
The Board agreed that a dinner should be arranged for the group on their visit to London
- Visitor numbers: the Director reported that visitor numbers for March were good, at 413,924, being up on the same month last year
5. The Chairman reported on further discussions concerning an acquisition under consideration.
Division between Tate and National Gallery collections
6. There was a discussion of this issue.
7. The Corporate Plan was approved subject to a number of amendments. In response to a query raised concerning the projected revenue from exhibitions, the Director confirmed that in planning the exhibitions calendar, account was taken both of the artistic content and value of proposed exhibitions and of likely visitor numbers, though the latter were often difficult accurately to project.
Tim Gardner Catalogue, sponsorship application
8. The Board approved the application for sponsorship. It was agreed that a paper prepared by the Director of Collections in 2001 on the relationship between the Gallery and the Art trade should be reviewed and brought to the Board for approval.
Loan requests and schedule of loans out
9. The Board agreed to the loan requests, including those with qualifications, recommended in the Senior Curator's paper; endorsed the Gallery's decisions to decline to lend and noted the changes of dates and venues.
Pictures for treatment
10. The Board agreed that 'Saint Anthony Abbot by Giovanni di Nicola' (NG 3896) was ready to go back on display. They expressed their satisfaction at the outcome of the cleaning. The Board noted progress on 'Carlo and Ubaldo see Rinaldo conquered by love for Armida' by Anthony Van Dyck (NG 877.2).
11. The Board noted the report on picture movements.
Any other Business
12. The Board discussed the possible reduction in the number of Board meetings in the year, by dropping one of the Spring or early summer meetings. The Board also discussed possible timing of the 2008 strategy weekend.
It was agreed the Chairman would convey the thanks of the Board to the retiring Trustee of AFNGL for his huge support to the Gallery.
Copies of previous Board minutes can be obtained from the Libraries and Archive department.
Confidential and sensitive information has been excluded from these published minutes in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000