The National Gallery is looking for two new Trustees to join the Board of the Gallery in 2018. Appointments to the Board are made by the Prime Minister.
All trustees of the Gallery are expected to demonstrate:
- A love of paintings and a commitment to the objectives and work of the Gallery
- An understanding of the importance to the Gallery of fundraising and a commitment to support such activity
- Excellent judgment and the ability to deal with strategic issues affecting the Gallery
- Good communication skills and the ability to represent the Gallery in the public realm
- The ability to work with other Trustees and senior management of the Gallery
- That they share the Gallery’s commitment to diversity and equality, in relation to audience development and employment practices
In addition, for this vacancy, the Gallery wishes to appoint:
A scientist who will help champion and support the important scientific work undertaken in the Gallery and with the reputation and authority required to Chair the Gallery’s Scientific Consultative Group.
An individual with experience of and a passion for public engagement, outreach and working with communities to help the Gallery develop and deliver its strategic objective of expanding and enhancing its programmes and activities, in particular those for younger people, communities and for a broader and more diverse demographic of audiences which have not formed part of the Gallery’s traditional visitor base.
Trustees are expected to attend six Board meetings a year and an annual strategy day. Additional time will be required to study papers and to attend events at the Gallery.
In addition, most Trustees sit on at least one Committee of the Board, which involves an additional time commitment.
Trustees are unpaid but reasonable travel expenses may be claimed.
Duration of appointment
A term of up to four years will be offered.
How to apply
Please apply via the Cabinet Office website.
Applications will close on 22 December.
To talk to someone about the application process please contact Bruce Simpson of DCMS on 0207 211 2146 or by email to email@example.com.
To talk to someone about Trustee roles at the National Gallery please contact Kate Howe, Secretary to the Board, on 0207 747 2801 or by email to Kate.firstname.lastname@example.org.
The National Gallery and DCMS aspire to diversity in public appointments and operate an equal opportunities policy. Appointments are made on merit and are regulated by the Commissioner for Public Appointments.